Canada Student Visa

Study in Canada:

Canada issues study permits to more than 140,000 students from all around the world each year. If you wish to study in Canada, you must apply for a study permit. A study permit allows you to study in Canada at an approved institute for the duration of the specified course or program. A Temporary Resident Visa is also required if the student is a citizen of a country from which Temporary Resident Visas are required for entry into Canada.

Advantages of Studying in Canada

  • It is possible to work in Canada, while you are here as a student, on an off-campus work permit for a maximum of 20 hours a week.
  • The Spouses or common-law partners of foreign students are eligible for an open work permit for the duration of the study permit.
  • Upon graduation, a foreign student may apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. Under this program, the work permit may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years.
  • You may apply for Permanent Resident in Canada under Ontario's PNP Class upon completion of a Master's Degree from an Ontario publicly-funded university.
  • You may be eligible to apply for Permanent Residence under Express Entry (Skilled Worker Class or Canadian Experience Class) from within Canada if you have accumulated one year of work experience under NOC Code 0, A or B of the National Occupation Classification.

Eligibility Requirements

  • You must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada.
  • You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your tuition fees, living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
  • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
  • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary. You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

Working off campus

Full-time students pursuing an academic, professional or vocational training program at a designated learning institution will be:

eligible to work off campus without a work permit;

allowed to work off campus for up to 20 hours per week during a regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled breaks; and able to work off campus immediately rather than waiting six months.

Applying for a study permit from within Canada

If you are in Canada as a visitor and wish to apply for a study permit to attend a designated learning institution, you may be able to do so from within Canada. As of June 1, 2014, certain foreign nationals may apply for and receive a study permit from within Canada. These include:

  • minor children studying at the primary or secondary level.
  • exchange or visiting students;
  • students who have completed a short-term course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated institution.

Approximate Cost of Studying in Canada

Program of Study Duration Cost of Tuition (range)
College Level Diploma 1 to 3 years $12,000 to $15,000 per year
Undergraduate Degree 3 to 4 years $15,000 to $18,000 per year
Graduate or Master Degree 1 to 2 years $16,000 to $22,000 per year
PH.D 3 to 4 years $20,000 to $25,000 per year
Living Expenses (Room and Board) $10,000 per calendar year
Other Expenses (Books, Transportation etc.) $ 2,500 per calendar year

Studying while in Canada

As of June 1, 2014, all study permit holders in Canada will need to actively pursue studies. Your educational institution will report to CIC on your continued enrolment and academic status. You may also be asked by an immigration officer to provide evidence of your continued enrolment and academic status.

Six months or less of study

A study permit is not needed if you want to take short-term courses or programs of study of six months or less. You may enroll in short-term programs at any learning institution, regardless of whether or not it is designated.

Changing institutions: your responsibility

You must notify CIC via your MyCIC account when you are transferring from one designated learning institution to another, even if it is at the same level of study.