uk startup visa


You can apply for a Start-up visa if:
  • you want to set up a business in the UK
  •  you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • you meet the other eligibility requirements
Getting endorsed
You must be endorsed by an authorised body that is either:
  • A UK higher education institution
  • A business organisation with a history of supporting UK entrepreneurs
You must be able to show that your business idea is:
  • A new idea - you cannot join or invest in a business that is already trading
  • Innovative - you must have an original business idea which is different from anything else on the market
  • Viable, with potential for growth
How long it takes to get a visa
  • The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel
How long you can stay
  • You can stay in the UK for 2 years on a Start-up visa.
  • You cannot apply to extend this visa.
Once your near to VISA expiry you have option called Switch
You must already be in the UK under any of the following visas or schemes:
  • Tier 1 visa
  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa
  • Tier 2 (Minister of religion) visa
  • Tier 2 (Intra company Transfer) visa under the Immigration Rules in place before 6 April 2010 and you’re applying to change sponsor
  • Tier 4 visa - if you have an eligible qualification, will complete your course in 3 months, or you’ve done at least 12 months of a PhD
  • Start-up visa
  • Innovator visa
You can also switch to a Tier 2 (General) visa if you’re:
  • a dependent partner of someone with a Tier 4 visa
  • a representative of an overseas business

In Start-Up Visa you will not be eligible to get ILR. Hence you have option to Switch visa Online

What you can and cannot do
You Can
  • bring family members with you
  • switch to this visa from some other visa categories
  • work in another job, as well as working for your business
You Can not
  • get public funds
  • work as a doctor or dentist in training
  • work as a professional sportsperson, for example a sports coach
  • settle in the UK on this visa

Before you apply you need to have your business or business idea assessed by an approved body. They will provide you with an endorsement letter if your business is viable.

You must also:
  • be at least 18 years old
  • meet the English language requirement
  • be able to prove that you have enough personal savings to support yourself while you’re in the UK
Knowledge of English

You may need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply.

You can prove your knowledge of English by either:
  • passing an approved English language test with at least CEFR level B2 in reading, writing, speaking and listening
  • having an academic qualification that was taught in English and is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD
  • You do not need to prove your knowledge of English if you’ve already proved it to be level B2 or above in an earlier successful application.
Documents you must provide

When you apply you need to provide an ‘endorsement letter’ from an authorised body.

You’ll also need to provide:
  • a current passport or other valid travel identification
  • bank statements showing you’ve had at least £945 in savings in your bank account for 90 consecutive days before you apply
  • your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
  • proof that you have knowledge of the English language
  • You’ll need to have a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa.
  • You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.